Current Scholarship Application
Stripes to Bars 2021 Award
- Applications will be January 1st, 2021 through March 15th, 2021
Stripes to Bars 2020 Award
- Thanks to our generous sponsors we were able to announce round 1 of our scholarships winners on July 1st, 2020. This round included 5 scholarships. See our previous winners page for more details about our past awardees.
- Due to COVID-19 we are anticipating a late arrival of a 2nd round of funding. We are targeting early August 2020 for an announcement.
How to Apply
Follow theses steps to apply:
All applicants should fill out the form by clicking “Scholarship Application” on this page or by visiting apply.stripestobars.org. Applicants unable to access the digital application should reach us via email or phone and we will find a way to accommodate.
- Aviation Medical Certificate – Obtain an appropriate medical certificate for your long term goals. The medical class of your certificate should reflect your end goal. In most cases pilots on a career track (those planning to make money as a pilot) will require a First or Second Class certificate. Non-career pilots (i.e. hobbyists, volunteers) may only need a BasicMed or Third Class certificate. In all cases a valid, non-expired proof of medical examination is required. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having trouble navigating the FAA requirements and our mentors will do their best to guide you on what is needed for our applications.
- Service Record – Obtain a copy of your DD-214 (Discharged veterans) or Service Record (Current Servicemembers)
- Please ensure social security numbers are redacted in all supporting documents.
- Letter of Recommendation – Obtain a Commander’s letter of recommendation (Current Servicemembers) or professional letter of recommendation (Discharged veterans). The most effective letters are written by a higher up who knows you and your work ethic well, and who can speak to your past commitments and achievements. We prefer letters that are written specifically for this scholarship.
- Professional Résumé – Construct a professional résumé.
- Submit your complete application with supporting documents at apply.stripestobars.org.
- Applicants must be currently serving, in good standing, or have previously served in one of the eight federal uniformed services with a discharge under other than “dis-honorable“ status.
- Applicants must obtain an aviation medical certificate (1st class required for career track, 3rd class for non-career track).
- Although prior criminal history is not an automatically disqualifying event*, Stripes to Bars reserves the right to evaluate each application in it’s entirety to determine eligibility.
* Prior criminal history will be reviewed during the process of obtaining a medical certificate
- Have access to a flight training facility, equipment and instructor.
- Have transportation and schedule availability to allow flight lessons weekly (schedule to be determined between student, equipment, and instructor availability).
- Applicant must submit a complete application with all supporting documents.
- The award determination will be made on the selection committee’s evaluation of the overall quality of the application and the scholarship essay questions.
- All scholarships are awarded on an individual basis, as funding is available and dispersed at the discretion of the selection committee.
- Funds will be paid directly to the flight training facility at which the scholarship winner will conduct their flight training.
- Scholarship selection shall be made without regard to race, national origin, sex, or disability**
**Disabilities preventing applicants from obtaining an aviation medical certificate will be solely determined by an Aviation Medical Examiner.