Stripes to Bars 2019 Award
- Applications open January 1st, 2019 through March 31st, 2019
- Scholarships to be awarded on May 1st, 2019
How to Apply:
Starting in 2019 Stripes to Bars will be moving to an online application process. All applicants should fill out the form by clicking “Scholarship Application” on this page or by visiting apply.stripestobars.org.
If for some reason, an online application is impossible for you please reach out us via email or phone and we will find a way to accommodate.
Follow the following steps to apply:
- Obtain aviation medical certificate (1st class required for career track, 3rd class for non-career track)
- Obtain a copy of DD 214 (Discharged Veterans) or ORB/ERB (Current Servicemembers)
- Please ensure social security numbers are blacked out in all supporting documents.
- Obtain a commander’s letter of recommendation (Current Servicemembers) or profession letter of recommendation (Discharged Veterans)
- Write a profesional résumé.
- Submit your complete application with supporting documents at apply.stripestobars.org.
- Applicants must be currently serving, or honorably discharged Veterans, of the United States armed forces
- Applicants must obtain an aviation medical certificate (1st class required for career track, 3rd class for non-career track)
- Although prior criminal history is not an automatically disqualifying event*, Stripes to Bars reserves the right to evaluate each application in it’s entirety to determine eligibility.
Prior criminal history will be reviewed during the process of obtaining a medical certificate
- Have access to Stripes to Bars qualified flight training facility, equipment and instructor (see list of approved facilities and information on how to have a flight school or instructor added to the approved list)
- Have transportation and schedule availability to allow flight lessons weekly (schedule to be determined between student, equipment, and instructor availability)
- Applicant must submit a complete application with all supporting documents.
- The award determination will be made on the selection committee’s evaluation of the overall quality of the application and the scholarship essay questions.
- All scholarships are awarded on an individual basis, as funding is available and dispersed at the discretion of the selection committee
- Funds will be paid directly to the approved flight training facility from which the applicant intends to become certified
- Scholarship selection shall be made without regard to race, national origin, sex, or disability**
**Disabilities preventing applicants from obtaining an aviation medical certificate will be solely determined by an Aviation Medical Examiner