Current Scholarship Application
Stripes to Bars 2020 Award
- Applications open January 1st, 2020 through March 15th, 2020
- Scholarships to be announced on May 1st, 2020
Stripes to Bars 2019 Award
5 scholarships were announced on May, 1st 2019. See previous winners for more details.
How to Apply
Follow theses steps to apply:
All applicants should fill out the form by clicking “Scholarship Application” on this page or by visiting apply.stripestobars.org. Applicants unable to access the digital application should reach us via email or phone and we will find a way to accommodate.
- Aviation Medical Certificate – Obtain an appropriate Medical Certificate for the scholarship track (1st class required for career track, 3rd class for non-career track).
- Service Record – Obtain a copy of your DD-214 (Discharged veterans) or Service Record (Current Servicemembers)
- Please ensure social security numbers are redacted in all supporting documents.
- Letter of Recommendation – Obtain a Commander’s letter of recommendation (Current Servicemembers) or professional letter of recommendation (Discharged veterans).
- Professional Résumé – Provide a professional résumé.
- Submit your complete application with supporting documents at apply.stripestobars.org.
- Applicants must be currently serving, in good standing, or have previously served in one of the eight federal uniformed services with a discharge under other than “dis-honorable“ status.
- Applicants must obtain an aviation medical certificate (1st class required for career track, 3rd class for non-career track).
- Although prior criminal history is not an automatically disqualifying event*, Stripes to Bars reserves the right to evaluate each application in it’s entirety to determine eligibility.
* Prior criminal history will be reviewed during the process of obtaining a medical certificate
- Have access to a flight training facility, equipment and instructor.
- Have transportation and schedule availability to allow flight lessons weekly (schedule to be determined between student, equipment, and instructor availability).
- Applicant must submit a complete application with all supporting documents.
- The award determination will be made on the selection committee’s evaluation of the overall quality of the application and the scholarship essay questions.
- All scholarships are awarded on an individual basis, as funding is available and dispersed at the discretion of the selection committee.
- Funds will be paid directly to the flight training facility at which the scholarship winner will conduct their flight training.
- Scholarship selection shall be made without regard to race, national origin, sex, or disability**
**Disabilities preventing applicants from obtaining an aviation medical certificate will be solely determined by an Aviation Medical Examiner.